Contact Information

The Uniformed Services at USU

Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
4301 Jones Bridge Road
Bethesda, Maryland 20814

GME Opportunities

After a physician completes four years of medical school, their training is not over. They must then complete an internship (also called PGY1 or Post Graduate Year 1) and then a residency (also termed Graduate Medical Education or GME). An internship typically lasts one year and a residency can last from three to seven years depending on the specialty.

Military GME is not much different from civilian GME in that virtually all specialties and sub-specialties are represented. Joining the military will not limit the specialties from which a medical student may choose.

Visit the Military Graduate Medical Education website to learn more about service specialties and where training programs are located.