Campus Life: Commencement
Uniformed Services University Commencement Office
4301 Jones Bridge Road
Bethesda, Maryland 20814
Telephone: (301) 295-2114
Fax: (301) 295-1943
Did you know
In 1980, the University graduated 29 students as the first class from the School of Medicine. Since that first class, 4847 Medical students, 1266 Graduate Education students, 703 Nursing students and 28 Dental students have followed in their footsteps.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is eligible to participate in Commencement?
- Do I need to sign up to participate in the Commencement ceremony?
- How do I obtain my cap and gown for graduation?
- What should I wear under my cap and gown at Commencement?
- How many tickets does each graduate receive?
- How do I obtain tickets?
- Where can I purchase graduation announcements?
- When and Where is the 2014 Commencement?
- Is there a rehearsal?
- What time should I arrive on Commencement day?
- Who is the keynote speaker?
- Is transportation provided to the Commencement site?
- Are my guests allowed to take pictures?
- Will there be a professional photographer?
- How do I get my diploma?
Who is eligible to participate in Commencement?
All students who have met their program requirements and have been recommended by the deans and faculty and approved by the Board of Regents are eligible to graduate.
Do I need to sign up to participate in the Commencement ceremony?
All medical students will coordinate through the Office of Student Affairs. All students in the Graduate Program of the Biomedical Sciences will coordinate through the Graduate Education Office. All advanced practice nursing students will coordinate through the Commandant of the GSN.
How do I obtain my cap and gown for graduation?
The cap and gown is provided be the University and will be distributed at rehearsal.
What should I wear under my cap and gown at Commencement?
The required uniform-of-the-day for graduation is as follows:
- Army - dress blues with four-in-hand tie with ribbons
- Navy - service dress white with ribbons
- Air Force - service dress with ribbons
- PHS - service dress blue with ribbons
How many tickets does each graduate receive?
Each graduate receives TEN tickets for Commencement.
How do I obtain tickets?
Tickets will be administered by your class representative.
Where can I purchase graduation announcements?
The University provides each graduate with ten announcements. You incur the cost of purchasing additional graduation announcements. Therefore, you may select any vendor of your choosing.
When and where is the 2015 Commencement?
Commencement will be held at the Daughters of the American Revolution Constitution Hall (DAR) in Washington, D.C. on May 16, 2015 at 10:30 a.m. DAR is located at 1776 D Street, NW Washington, D.C. 20006
Is there a rehearsal?
Rehearsal will take place on May 17, 2014. Bus transportation for students will be provided from the university to the practice venue.
What time should I arrive on Commencement day?
Students should arrive between 8:30 and 9:30 a.m.
Who is the keynote speaker?
The key note speaker has not yet been announced for the 2014 Commencement Ceremony.
Is transportation provided to the Commencement site?
Bus transportation is provided for graduates, faculty and University support personnel only.
Are my guests allowed to take pictures?
Will there be a professional photographer?
How do I get my diploma?
Your diploma is handed to you by the dean of your school on stage, after your hooding. Diplomas are not mailed.