OEM Residency Graduates
Graduates of the program are capable of developing and managing an occupational health program for military and civilian personnel anywhere in the world. Graduates are often leaders of the safety and occupational health team and they are aware of their duties and responsibilities to the other members of the occupational health team. They proactively work with the other team members in preventing, diagnosing, and treating occupational injury and illness. Many residents seek out leadership opportunities in their respective services. Residents actively participate in research and scholarly activity and continue their research after graduation. OEM graduates have earned Fellow status and have become leaders in the American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine.
Assignments After Residency Training
Graduates are assigned to one of an array of challenging, rewarding assignments. Recent graduates have been assigned to the US Army Public Health Command as an Occupational and Environmental Medicine Staff officer, Chief of Occupational and Environmental Medicine at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, the National Guard Bureau Surgeon and the OEM Staff Officer, Defense Threat Reduction Agency. Examples of other assignments include:
Available Right After Residency Training (Partial Listing)
- Shipyard Occupational Health Clinic, Pearl Harbor, HI, Bremerton, WA, Norfolk, VA, Portsmouth, NH
- Command Surgeon, Army Field Operating Agency
- Command Surgeon, Defense Threat Reduction Agency
- National Guard Bureau Surgeon
- Command Surgeon, Chemical Materials Agency
- Deputy Surgeon, Army Material Command
- Program Manager, Occupational & Environmental Medicine Program, U.S. Army Public Health Command, Aberdeen, MD.
- Occupational Medicine Physician, U.S. Army Center Public Health Command, Germany
- Chief, Occupational Medicine Clinic and Director, Health Services, Army Ammunition and Storage Depots located at US Army Chemical Depots: Tooele, UT; Umatilla Army Depot; Bluegrass Chemical Depot; KY; Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD; Pine Bluff Chemical Depot, AR; and Dugway Proving Ground, UT.
- Chief of Occupational Medicine Service and Regional Occupational Medicine Consultant, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Madigan Army Medical Center, Ft. Lewis, WA; Brook Army Medical Center, TX; Tripler Army Medical Center, HI; Dwight David Eisenhower Army Medical Center, Ft. Gordon, GA; Naval Hospital, San Diego CA; Portsmouth, NH; Bremerton, WA; Pensacola, FL; Jacksonville, FL; Naples, IT; Okinawa, JP and Rota, SP.
- Occupational Medicine Physician, Chemical Biological Incident Response Force, Indian Head, MD
Available Later in Your Career (Partial Listing)
- Occupational Medicine Consultant
- Professor, Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
- OEM Residency Director
- Navy & Marine Corps Public Health Command
- OIC, Navy Environmental and Preventive Medicine Unit, Pearl Harbor, HI; San Diego, CA, Norfolk, VA
- Portfolio Manager, Occupational and Environmental Medicine, US Army Institute of Public Health
- Division Surgeon
- Occupational Medicine Staff Officer, Office of the Surgeon General