Requirements for Specialty Certification in OEM are set by the American Board of Preventive Medicine, Inc:
- Residency Training. This includes the following components:
- PGY1 year (Clinical year): Hands-on training in direct patient care (Internship). Must have 11 months of direct patient care.
- PGY2 year (Academic year ): Didactic training in fundamental disciplines of Occupational and Environmental Medicine (OEM) including completion of graduate level courses in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Health Services Management and Administration, Environmental Health, Behavioral Aspects of Health, Occupational Medicine, Toxicology, Occupational Epidemiology, Industrial Hygiene, Safety and Ergonomics, and Risk/hazard Control and Communication. In the USU residency, this requirement is met by completing the Master of Public Health Curriculum with a concentration in Occupational and Environmental Health. The PGY2 year also must have 4 months of supervised direct patient care in an occupational medicine setting.
- PGY3 year (Practicum year): Supervised experience in applying OEM and public health principles in a variety of clinical, administrative, policy, and research settings with at least 4 months of direct patient care in an occupational medicine setting.
- Eligibility is determined by the Board once a year (usually in late summer).
Documentation requirements include:
- Diploma from an approved medical school
- Internship or clinical residency completion certificate
- MPH transcript
- OEM residency completion certificate
- Unrestricted state medical license
The Board examination is a one-day exam usually given at various sites around the country during October. Results are generally announced by January. The services encourage Board certification and reimburse candidates for the initial examination fee and travel expenses. Board-certified physicians are eligible for a significant pay bonus in terms of board certification and specialty pays.
Additional information can be obtained from:
The American Board of Preventive Medicine, Inc
330 South Wells St., Suite 1018
Chicago, IL 60606
(312) 939-ABPM