Consortium for Health and Military Performance
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
4301 Jones Bridge Road
Bethesda, Maryland 20814
Patricia Deuster, PhD, MPH
Phone: (301) 295-3020
Dr. Francis G. O'Connor, COL, MC, USA
CHAMP Associate Director
Phone: (301) 295-0220
Jeff Leggit, COL, MC, USA
CHAMP Medical Director
Phone: (301) 295-9466
- Silverman MN, Deuster PA. Biological mechanisms underlying the role of physical fitness in health and resilience. Interface Focus 2014;4(5).
- Pollock ED, Kazman JB, Deuster P. Family Functioning and Stress in African American Families: A Strength-Based Approach. Journal of Black Psychology 2014.
- Magee C, Kazman J, Haigney M, Oriscello R, DeZee KJ, Deuster P, et al. Reliability and validity of clinician ECG interpretation for athletes. Ann Noninvasive Electrocardiol 2014;19(4):319-29.
- Ko R, Low Dog T, Gorecki DK, Cantilena LR, Costello RB, Evans WJ, et al. Evidence-based evaluation of potential benefits and safety of beta-alanine supplementation for military personnel. Nutr Rev 2014;72(3):217-25.
- Kazman JB, Galecki JM, Lisman P, Deuster PA, O'Connor FG. Factor structure of the functional movement screen in marine officer candidates. J Strength Cond Res 2014;28(3):672-8.
- Teyhen D, Bergeron MF, Deuster P, Baumgartner N, Beutler AI, de la Motte SJ, et al. Consortium for health and military performance and American College of Sports Medicine Summit: utility of functional movement assessment in identifying musculoskeletal injury risk. Curr Sports Med Rep 2014;13(1):52-63.
- Szczepanik ME, Heled Y, Capacchione J, Campbell W, Deuster P, O'Connor FG. Exertional rhabdomyolysis: identification and evaluation of the athlete at risk for recurrence. Curr Sports Med Rep 2014;13(2):113-9.
- Islam A, Hait SH, Andrews-Shigaki B, Carus S, Deuster PA. Plasma HSP70 Levels Correlate with Health Risk Factors and Insulin Resistance in African American Subjects. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 2014;122(8):496-501.
- Goforth C, Lisman P, Deuster P. The physiological impact of body armor cooling devices in hot environments: a systematic review. Mil Med 2014;179(7):724-34.
- Dretsch MN, Johnston D, Bradley RS, MacRae H, Deuster PA, Harris WS. Effects of omega-3 fatty acid supplementation on neurocognitive functioning and mood in deployed U.S. soldiers: a pilot study. Mil Med 2014;179(4):396-403.
- Deuster PA, Grunberg NE, O'Connor FG. An integrated approach for special operations. J Spec Oper Med 2014;14(2):86-90.
- Chen Y, Islam A, Abraham P, Deuster P. Single-dose oral quercetin improves redox status but does not affect heat shock response in mice. Nutr Res 2014;34(7):623-9.
- Arensberg ME, Costello R, Deuster PA, Jones D, Twillman G. Summit on human performance and dietary supplements summary report. Nutr Today 2014;49:7- 15.
- Abkowitz JL, O'Connor FG, Deuster PA, Thompson AA. Sickle cell trait and safe athletic participation: the way forward. Curr Sports Med Rep 2014;13(3):192-3.
- Zeno SA, Purvis D, Crawford C, Lee C, Lisman P, Deuster PA. Warm-ups for military fitness testing: rapid evidence assessment of the literature. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2013;45(7):1369-76.
- Purvis DL, Lentino CV, Jackson TK, Murphy KJ, Deuster PA. Nutrition as a component of the performance triad: how healthy eating behaviors contribute to soldier performance and military readiness. US Army Med Dep J 2013:66-78.
- Pasquina PF, Griffin SC, Anderson-Barnes VC, Tsao JW, O'Connor FG. Analysis of injuries from the Army Ten Miler: A 6-year retrospective review. Mil Med 2013;178(1):55-60.
- O'Connor FG, Deuster P, Thompson A. Sickle cell trait: what's a sports medicine clinician to think? Br J Sports Med 2013;47(11):667-8.
- Nindl BC, Williams TJ, Deuster PA, Butler NL, Jones BH. Strategies for optimizing military physical readiness and preventing musculoskeletal injuries in the 21st century. US Army Med Dep J 2013:5-23.
- Lisman P, O'Connor FG, Deuster PA, Knapik JJ. Functional movement screen and aerobic fitness predict injuries in military training. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2013;45(4):636-43.
- Lentino CV, Purvis DL, Murphy KJ, Deuster PA. Sleep as a component of the performance triad: the importance of sleep in a military population. US Army Med Dep J 2013:98-108.
- Kazman JB, Heled Y, Lisman PJ, Druyan A, Deuster PA, O'Connor FG. Exertional heat illness: the role of heat tolerance testing. Curr Sports Med Rep 2013;12(2):101-5.
- Johnston DT, Deuster PA, Harris WS, Macrae H, Dretsch MN. Red blood cell omega-3 fatty acid levels and neurocognitive performance in deployed U.S. Servicemembers. Nutr Neurosci 2013;16(1):30-8.
- Islam A, Deuster PA, Devaney JM, Ghimbovschi S, Chen Y. An exploration of heat tolerance in mice utilizing mRNA and microRNA expression analysis. PLoS One 2013;8(8):e72258.
- Islam A, Abraham P, Hapner CD, Deuster PA, Chen Y. Tissue-specific upregulation of HSP72 in mice following short-term administration of alcohol. Cell Stress Chaperones 2013;18(2):215-22.
- Islam A, Abraham P, Hapner CD, Andrews-Shigaki B, Deuster P, Chen Y. Heat exposure induces tissue stress in heat-intolerant, but not heat-tolerant, mice. Stress 2013;16(2):244-53.
- Eliason M, Deuster P, Adams B, Cancio A, Bestervelt L, Eichner A. In response to letter to the editor: Re: "Case reports: Death of active duty soldiers following ingestion of dietary supplements containing 1,3-dimethylamylamine (DMAA)" (Mil Med 2012; 177(12): 1455-59). Mil Med 2013;178(9):v.
- Deuster PA, Silverman MN. Physical fitness: a pathway to health and resilience. US Army Med Dep J 2013:24-35.
- Deuster PA, Hodgson AB, Stear SJ, Burke LM, Castell LM. A-Z of nutritional supplements: dietary supplements, sports nutrition foods and ergogenic aids for health and performance: Part 46. Br J Sports Med 2013;47(12):809-10.
- Deuster PA, Contreras-Sesvold CL, O'Connor FG, Campbell WW, Kenney K, Capacchione JF, et al. Genetic polymorphisms associated with exertional rhabdomyolysis. Eur J Appl Physiol 2013;113(8):1997-2004.
- Cellini M, Attipoe S, Seales P, Gray R, Ward A, Stephens M, et al. Dietary supplements: physician knowledge and adverse event reporting. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2013;45(1):23-8.
- Casa DJ, Almquist J, Anderson SA, Baker L, Bergeron MF, Biagioli B, et al. The inter-association task force for preventing sudden death in secondary school athletics programs: best-practices recommendations. J Athl Train 2013;48(4):546-53.
- Abraham PA, Kazman JB, Zeno SA, Poth M, Deuster PA. Age-related decline in salivary dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate and associated health risks among African Americans. Ethn Dis 2013;23(2):149-54.
- Abraham PA, Kazman JB, Zeno SA, Deuster PA. Obesity and african americans: physiologic and behavioral pathways. ISRN Obes 2013;2013:314295.