Office of General Counsel Forms
Department of Medicine: Organization
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
Department of Medicine
4301 Jones Bridge Road, C1094
Bethesda, Maryland 20814-4799
Phone: (301) 295-2010
Fax: (301) 295-5792
Military Internal Medicine Division
Director: COL Michael Roy, MC, USA
Become the focal point for medical students, residents, and staff physicians interested in research and clinical aspects of internal medicine in operational settings.
Goals and Objectives
- Goal 1: Medical Student Curriculum
Optimize emphasis on deployment-related medicine in medical school curriculum.
- 1.1 Review current curriculum.
- 1.2 Obtain tri-service input into development of key list of operational medicine topics that should be incorporated into medical school curriculum.
- 1.3 Compare list of topics with current curriculum, identifying where topics are addressed.
- 1.4 If key topics require additional attention, develop a plan for ensuring optimal coverage.
- Goal 2: Residency Curriculum
Ensure that tri-service internal medicine residency programs provide adequate preparation for operational situations that military internists can be expected to encounter.
- 2.1 Identify key areas of operational skills and knowledge that should be incorporated in tri-service internal medicine residency programs. Determine which are common to all services, and which are service-specific.
- 2.2 Provide checklist of key elements for training programs, with suggested options for addressing each element.
- Goal 3: Faculty Development
Facilitate faculty development to ensure that USUHS and affiliated faculty members are prepared to provide leadership for learners in operational settings.
- 3.1 Serve as point of contact for internists confronting isssues in operational medicine.
- 3.2 Provide opportunities for faculty to share their experiences through written and oral communications.
- Goal 4: Resource Center
Facilitate availability of hard-copy and on-line resources pertaining to military internal medicine topics.
- 4.1 Establish web site with links to other sites that will be useful to the deployed or deploying internist, and to those researching operational medicine topics.
- 4.2 Establish a military internal medicine library with relevant articles and texts.
- Goal 5: Faculty Research
Coordinate DOM faculty research regarding combat casualty care and other military relevant subjects.
- 5.1 Provide "clearing house" of information, links, and point-of-contacts to facilitate deployment-related research.
- 5.2 Initiate deployment-related research that will enable participation from interested faculty, residents, and students.