Daniel K. Inouye Graduate School of Nursing
Master of Science in Nursing Admission Requirements
Admission into the USU Graduate School of Nursing is competitive. Each applicant must meet the general School requirements as well as the requirements for the individual program options they wish to pursue.
The admissions process takes into consideration all application materials when evaluating an applicant. It also reserves the right to require additional materials. Students who do not meet the minimum recommended requirements in all areas may be considered on an individual basis.
Master of Science in Nursing Criteria
- Must be a commissioned officer or service sponsored civilian in the U.S. Army, Air Force, Navy or Public Health Service with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Acceptance is contingent upon approval of the sponsoring agency or service
- BSN GPA and science GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Competitive score on the GRE (e.g. 525 Quantitative, 500 Verbal, 4 Analytic for scores before August 2011 and 145 Quantitative, 153 Verbal, 4 Analytic for scores after August 2011)
- Three satisfactory letters of recommendation
- Writing requirement
- Original transcripts
- Current nursing license
- Current Basic Life Support Certification
- Current curriculum vitae
- Applicants may be asked to appear for an interview at the discretion of the program directors after a preliminary review of academic credentials and application materials
Nurse Anesthesia Program Option
The USU nurse anesthesia program is no longer taking applications to the MSN program. The program has transitioned to the DNP beginning with the class matriculating in May 2013.
- Prerequisites (grade of B or higher):
- Undergraduate or graduate level biochemistry course within 5 years of application
- Undergraduate or graduate level statistics course
- At least one year of experience as an RN in an acute care setting defined as work experience during which an RN has developed as an independent decision maker capable of using and interpreting advanced monitoring techniques based on knowledge of physiological and pharmacological principles
- Current ACLS and PALS certification
- Competitive applicants will have GRE quantitative scores greater than 525, verbal scores greater than 500 and analytical scores of 4 or higher for scores before August 2011. Competitive applicants will have GRE quantitative scores greater than 145, verbal scores greater than 153 and analytical scores of 4 or higher for scores after August 2011.
- All applicants will be required to complete an in person or phone interview with the program director before October 1
- The Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA) approved the DNP for USU's Nurse Anesthesia program. Nurse anesthesia students matriculating in May of 2013 and after will enter the DNP program. The Nurse Anesthesia program is accredited to offer a MSN and DNP by the COA. The address for the COA is 222 Prospect Avenue, Park Ridge, IL, 60068. The COA phone number is (847) 655-1160, and their e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org. The COA website is http://home.coa.us.com. The nurse anesthesia program received a 10-year accreditation in October 2003. A scheduled onsite visit occurred in the Spring of 2013, results are pending.
Adult-Gerontology CNS Program Option
- Two years as a perioperative nurse
- CNOR certification
- ACLS certification desired (ACLS certification and re-certification will be incorporated into the program)
Psychiatric NP Program Option
- Two years of experience in a psychiatric setting desired
- All applicants will be required to complete an in person, Skype or DCO (online) interview with program director and clinical faculty prior to October 1
Family NP Program Option
- Two years of experience in an ambulatory/outpatient setting desired
Application Form and Supporting Documents
Download the Master of Science in Nursing Program Application Form, complete each section and mail it to the Registrar's Office in USU's Graduate School of Nursing by August 15.
Registrar, Graduate School of Nursing
Uniformed Services University
4301 Jones Bridge Road
Bethesda, Maryland 20814-4712
Complete the Application Checklist to ensure all necessary documentation is submitted with your application.