CAPT Philip E. Coyne, Jr., USPHS
Associate Professor of Tropical Public Health
- MSPH (Univ. of North Carolina, 1981)
- MD (USUHS, 1985)
- Diagnostic Parasitology and Medical Zoology (Course director, 2008-present)
- Medical Parasitology PMO 561 (Course director, 2009-present)
- Principles and Practice of Tropical Medicine PMO 560 (Guest lecturer, 2007- present)
- Tropical Medicine Rounds PMO 614 (Guest lecturer, 2004- present)
Areas of Expertise
- Drug development for neglected tropical diseases
- Pharmaceutical donation programs for parasitic disease control and elimination
Selected Recent Publications
Whitman TJ, Coyne PE, Magill AJ, et al. An outbreak of Plasmodium falciparum malaria in US Marines deployed to Liberia. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 83(2): 258-65, 2010.
Aronson N, Coleman R, Coyne PE , Rowton E, Hack D, Polhemus M, Wortmann G,Cox K, Weina P, Herwaldt B. Cutaneous Leishmaniasis in U.S. Military Personnel—Southwest/Central Asia, 2002-2003. MMWR 52 (42): 1009, 24 October 2003.
Shaffer DN, Armstrong G, Higgins K, Coyne PE, Honig P, Boxwell D, Beitz J, Leissa B, and Murphy D. Increased US prescription trends associated with the CDC B. anthracis antimicrobial postexposure prophylaxis campaign. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Safety 12(3): 177-82, April-May 2003.
Coyne PE and Berk DW. The Mectizan® (ivermectin) donation program for riverblindness as a paradigm for pharmaceutical industry donation programs. Africa Region, World Bank, May 2002.
Coyne PE. The Eflornithine Story. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology 45(5): 784-86, 2001.
- Institutional Biosafety Committee, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring MD, September 1999 - present.
- International Affairs Committee, Infectious Diseases Society of America, October 2002- October 2004.
- Councilor, American Committee for Clinical Tropical Medicine and Travelers' Health (ACCTMTH), American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, December 2003 - December 2006.
- President, ACCTMTH, November 2010 - present.
- NIAID Observer to the Expert Scientific Advisory Committee, Medicines for Malaria Venture, Geneva Switzerland January 2004 - June 2008.
- Member, Board of Directors, Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) North America, October 2008 - August 2010.
- Data and Safety Monitoring Committees:
- Azithromycin plus Chloroquine for uncomplicated malaria, Pfizer Inc., 2004-06.
- Doxycycline vs Gentamicin for bubonic plague, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2003-07.
- Phase 1/2a trial of genetically attenuated P. falciparum parasites p52/p36 (GAP) vaccine (Chair), Seattle Biomedical Research Institute, April 2010 - present.
- Consultant, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Anti-infective Drugs Advisory Committee review of NDA 22-268, Coartem®
(artemether/lumefantrine). 3 December 2008.
- Consultant, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Anti-infective Drugs Advisory Committee review of NDA 21-242, artesunate rectal suppositories. 29 April 2010.