CDR David Brett-Major, MD, MPH, MC, USN
Assistant Professor and Program Director, U.S. Military Tropical
Medicine, Navy Medicine Manpower Personnel Training and Education Command
Dr. Brett-Major received his undergraduate training in Mathematics at the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD. After service as a Surface Warfare Officer, he received his medical and later masters degrees from the Uniformed Services University in Bethesda, MD. He completed both a residency in Internal Medicine and a fellowship in Infectious Diseases in the National Capitol Consortium. Since 2008, Dr. Brett-Major has directed the U.S. Military Tropical Medicine program. This tri-service effort partnered with the University educates and trains military medical personnel in the practice of medicine in developing areas.
- MD, Uniformed Services University
- MPH, Uniformed Services University
- B.S., Mathematics, United States Naval Academy
- Active research in blood-borne pathogens
- Clinical and tropical public health systematic review
- Clinical academic education
- U.S. Military Tropical Medicine program (MTM) activities including Global Medicine, MTM-Didactics, MTM-Field and MTM Just in Time Training: Distributed Operations
- Travel Medicine
- Epidemiology and Control of Arboviruses
Areas of Expertise
- Operational Research in blood-borne pathogens
- Tropical Public Health Related Systematic Review
Selected Recent Publications
- Hakre S, Brett-Major DM, Singer D, O'Connell RJ, Steren WB, Sanchez JL, Agan BK, Michael NL, Scott, PT. Medical Encounter Characteristics of HIV Seroconverters in the US Army and Air Force, 2000-2004. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2011 Jan 24. [Epub ahead of print]
- Richards EE, Masuoka P, Brett-Major D, Smith M, Klein TA, Kim HC, Anyamba A, Grieco J. The relationship between mosquito abundance and rice field density in the Republic of Korea. Int J Health Geogr. 2010 Jun 23; 9(1):32.
- Shwayhat AF, Brett-Major DM, Poremba JA. Insulinoma presenting as an unusual case of marital discord. Federal Practitioner 2009;26(7):13-16,21.
- Brett-Major DM, Lipnick RJ. Antibiotic prophylaxis for leptospirosis. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2009 Jul 8;(3):CD007342. Protocol was published as Brett-Major DM, Martinez LJ, Lipnick RJ in CDSR 2008 Issue 3.
- Brett-Major DM, Calborn DM. Sand Fly Fever: What have we learned in 100 years? Military Medicine 2009;174(4):426-31.
- American College of Physicians
- Armed Forces Infectious Diseases Society
- Infectious Disease Society of America
- American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
- Association of Military Surgeons of the United States
- Florida Medical Association
- American Medical Association