Department of Radiation Biology
Uniformed Services University
of the Health Sciences
Bldg. 42, 8901 Wisconsin Ave.
Bethesda, MD 20889-5603
Alexandra Miller, PhD
Currently the research focus in my laboratory involves the following: characterizing the late effects of radiation and/or heavy metal exposures; developing medical countermeasures to radiation carcinogenesis, particularly agents that inhibit molecular chaperones like Hsp90 or inhibit histone deacetylase; and to understand mechanisms (genetic and epigenetic) of radiation late effects.
My specific research interests are radiation late effects, biomarkers of late effects, low-dose high-LET radiation, internal emitters, carcinogenesis, transgenerational effects, and epigenetic mechanisms.
- 2011—Miller AC, Lison P, Michel M, Merlot. Oral radioprotection by phenylbutyrate: Effects on human cells. International Journal Radiation Biology [in press].
- 2011—Miller AC, Cohen S, Stewart M, Rivas R, Lison P. Radiation protection by the histone deacetylase inhibitor phenylbutyrate. Radiat Environ Biophys. 50(4):585–96, 2011.
- 2010—Miller AC, Stewart M, Rivas R. Preconceptional paternal exposure to depleted uranium: Transmission of genetic damate to offspring. Health Physics 9(3):371–9, 2010.
- 2009—Miller AC, Stewart M, Rivas R, Merlot R, Lison P. DNA methylation during depleed uranium-induced leukemia. Biochimie. 91(10):1328–30, 2009.
- 2007—Miller AC. A review of depleted uranium health effects: In vivo and in vitro studies, Rev Environ Health 22(1):75–89, 2007.
- 2007—Miller AC, Stewart M, Rivas R, Marino S, Randers-Pehrson G, Shi L. Observation of radiation-specific damage in cells exposed to depleted uranium: hprt gene mutation frequency. Radiation Measurements 42(6–7):1029–1032, 2007.
- 2005—Miller AC, Stewart R Rivas M, Michel M, Merlot, R, Lison P. Leukemic transformation of hematopoietic cells in mice internally exposed to depleted uranium. Mol Cell Biochem. 279(1–2):97–104, 2005.
- 2006—Miller AC (Editor) Depleted Uranium: Properties, Uses, and Health Consequences. Boca Raton, London, New York: CRC Press, ISBN: 0849330475, 9780849330476. 2006.
- Miller AC, Satyamitra M, Kulkarni, S. "Late and Low Level Effects of Ionizing Radiation", Textbook of Military Medicine, Bender Press, Washington, DC [in press].
- 2010—Miller AC. "Toxicology of Depleted Uranium, General and Applied Toxicology", John Wiley and Sons, London, UK, Jan. 2010.