Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
Office of General Counsel
4301 Jones Bridge Road, C1094
Bethesda, Maryland 20814-4799
Start with your Department Chair for initial guidance
Additional Guidance may be obtained through the Learning Resource Center (LRC) to determine what USU already has licensed
For general Copyright Law questions you may be directed to the Office of General Counsel (OGC)
Copyright and Reserve
The LRC follows the Fair use provisions in the Copyright Act outlined previously, including in the area of Electronic Reserves. In addition, only students enrolled in the course have access to the materials.
Faculty are responsible for:
- Ensuring that materials placed on reserve are in compliance with the Copyright Law and the Guidelines for Multiple Copies for Classroom Use, outlined previously.
- Obtaining copyright permission, when necessary, and sending one signed copyright form for each item placed on reserve to the library.
- For example: If you are placing an item not owned by the LRC on reserve for successive semesters, spontaneity would not apply. Therefore, you will be required to obtain copyright permission from the copyright holder each semester you plan on placing the item on reserve.
- Ensuring that only students enrolled in the course have access to reserve materials by limiting access to the class reserve link.
- Providing sufficient lead time (10 business days) to place materials on reserve.
- Picking up print material at the end of each semester.
- Signing a Class Reserve Form when placing items on reserve.
The LRC is responsible for:
- Reviewing materials to ensure that the items on reserve are in compliance with the Copyright Law and making sure that the signed Copyright form is on file in the library.
- Stamping each copy (paper or scanned) with a copyright notice.
- Removing items from reserve (print and electronic) at the end of each semester.
- Working with the author of electronic course materials to assure that access to LRC E-Reserves is limited to students enrolled in the course.