Quick Resource Links
Biomedical Instrumentation Center
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
4301 Jones Bridge Road
Bethesda, Maryland 20814-4799
BIC is located on the ground floor of B building in rooms G230 - G242.
Take the freight elevator in B bldg down to the ground floor
Make a left at the exercise room and go to the end of the hall
Make a right and BIC is halfway down the hall on your left
List of services
Tissue Processing, Embedding, and Sectioning
The process of fixing and embedding preserves tissue for future examination and experimental use. To ensure the best possible results, we ask that investigators utilize the following procedures:
1.) Please Clearly Label Specimen Containers:
- Labels written with either sharpies/pens are prone to dissolve when exposed to reagents used in the fixation process.
- If your specimen has been stored in formalin longer than 48 hours or is frozen, please note your histology request form.
2.) Tissues submitted in tissue cassettes:
- Tissues submitted in cassettes must be labeled by a #2 pencil only.
- Labels written with either sharpies or pens are prone to dissolve when exposed to reagents used in the fixation process.
- Cassettes are available free of charge from the Histopathology Core laboratory.
3.) Proper solutions for submission of tissues:
- 10% NBF is provided free of charge to investigators for storage of tissues until processing and embedding.
- Use at least 10-20X volume of fixative to tissue to ensure proper penetration of tissue.
- Tissues which will be stored longer than 48 hours should be transferred to 70%EtOH and refrigerated until processing.
4.) Print and complete the Histopathology Request form.
In addition to general information regarding your request, please use this form to make note of any special instructions (particularly the number and type of sections you want on each slide).
Staining and Consultation Services
1.) Routine Staining Services:
- Hematoxylin and Eosin (H&E)
- Masson's Trichrome Blue
- Masson's Trichrome Green
- Periodic Acid-Schiff (PAS)
- Toluidine Blue
Other stains are available upon request.
2.) Consultation Services:
- Investigators are strongly encouraged to consult with our scientists on all new projects utliyzing histopathlogy services.
- We can assist with experimental design and protocol development, data and paper preparation, and digital photography.